[Nikon] Extreme Cold Weather with a Nikon

[複製鏈接]

主題

帖子

積分

資深會員

積分
發表於 2013-2-26 15:16:34 | 顯示全部樓層 |閱讀模式
Some prefer a camera with full frame, while others don't matter. Some like a camera to be compact and light in weight, others prefer big and intimidating.
But whatever your preferences are in a camera, that camera has to be able to take pictures. This may sound silly, all cameras take pictures unless of course they are broken. But in reality, weather condition plays a critical role which either allows you to make the shot, or simply don't.

Imagine the temperature is 30C below zero, windchill adds another -10C, you and your camera are shivering out in the middle of an open space and at midnight when the sun is none to be seen, you await eagerly for the Aurora to slowly brighten the skyline but your camera fails to operate because the battery is dead. This is exactly what had happened to me during my trip to Yellowknife in Canada. The Nex 7 died almost instantaneously, but luckily I had my Nikon D800 which operated flawlessly under the extreme cold temperature.

The cameras I'd brought to Yellowknife were the Nikon D3, the Nikon D800, and the Sony Nex 7. The main camera was the D800 and leaving the D3 as a backup camera, the Nex's purpose was simply to snap the surrounding and personally I did expect this camera to be less weather proof. I never did use the D3 because the D800 operated normally, but the NEX didn't survive the cold, her battery died almost immediately but came back to life once inside a warm room. I used the Markins M20 ball head mounted onto the Gitzo 1227 tripod, the lens used was the 17-35mm f2.8, all these equipments worked beautifully with no problems at all. I have been using the Markins M20 for years and it never failed me, it managed to lock down precisely and confidently under this extreme temperature, so thumbs up for this Korean brand.

Yellowknife is a well known place for viewing Aurora, I think the place has the highest chance of seeing this heavenly light than anywhere else in the world, it boasts you can see Aurora 200 plus days in a year. I flew from HK to Vancouver and slept there for a night, then continued the flight the next day to Edmonton and eventually ended up in Yellowknife. It was a long and tiring journey, but seeing the Aurora in person makes everything justifiable, and I did see Aurora 3 nights in a role and I'm a happy camper.

If you plan to visit Yellowknife in winter, do note that the area is cold, very very cold. Period. No clothes you can buy in HK are warm enough, you will NEED to rent the extra clothing from the local shops, or else you would be stucked inside the hotel for the rest of your trip. The town has a population of about 20,000 people, and is possible to walk the whole area within an hour slowly. Dog sledding, ice fishing, snow mobile are activities for the day, and night time should undeniably be reserved exclusively for Aurora. It's best to reserve the itineraries before your arrival. Here are some of the local tour guides which I find to be trustworthy:

www.yellowknifeoutdooradventures.com
www.yellowknifetours.com

Feel free to share with us your thoughts.
Yellowknife.jpg
Yellowknife2.jpg
yellowknife3.jpg
Yellowknife4.jpg
yellowknife5.jpg

評分

參與人數 1威望 +2 收起 理由
大john + 2 您現在無權發帖。點擊查看原因

查看全部評分

At Your Service !!
您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊

本版積分規則

手機版|Archiver|DCHome

GMT+8, 2020-7-11 10:27 PM , Processed in 0.100361 second(s), 16 queries , Gzip On, MemCache On.