[複製鏈接]

主題

帖子

積分

資深會員

積分
發表於 2013-5-6 20:13:39 | 顯示全部樓層 |閱讀模式
本帖最後由 VictorChen 於 2013-5-8 03:24 PM 編輯

Before we begin I'll need to come out straight , when I first found out about the price of a Sony Digital Compact Camera costing over HK$20,000, I was shocked. I was literally cursing at Sony for ridiculously over charging a compact camera with a product life expectancy of less than a year. And most importantly this camera has no interchangeable lens feature, so what if it has a Full Frame sensor and it's no big deal if the lens is by Carl Zeiss with a *T. None of these features rightfully add up to the price tag. Or so I'd thought.

A member of Dchome handed me his RX1 and asked me to give it a try. So I did. And immediately everything added up to HK$20K perfectly. It is that good !!!!

Review-RX1.jpg

Sony has made a very bold move to charter into the higher end of the camera sector and setting the price on par with the DSLR onto a tiny little Compact Camera and naming it the Cyber-Shot DSC-RX1. As the history recalled, Cyber Shot had always been a consumer grade camera, I know because I'd owned one about a decade ago. Ever since Sony had introduced the NEX series, I have been a loyal servant to the NEX and never bothered to take a second look at the Micro Four Third anymore. RX1 is not a consumer grade camera, do not let its size fool you, it is a beast hidden inside the tiny little body. As you can see here, the RX1 is very similar in size with the NEX7.

Review-RX1-2.jpg

I'm in the process of getting familiarizing the camera. After my brief messing around with the RX1, I have to say I miss using the flip screen of a NEX. Also, the NEX has a better grip than the RX1. Otherwise the RX1 is far superior in every ways; auto focusing is fast, bokeh is very very sweet, black n' white mode is gorgeous, high ISO is ultra clean. I'll get these done in Part 2 after knowing this camera a little better.

Review-RX1-3.jpg

Lastly, I have seen people comparing the RX1 to a Leica. This is not a fair comparison by any standards. I will get a new Leica, I have now the RX1. I'm still saving up for the new M type 240. The price difference between the two is the biggest and most practical reason.

Review-RX1-4.jpg

At Your Service !!

主題

帖子

積分

資深會員

積分
 樓主| 發表於 2013-5-7 17:33:56 | 顯示全部樓層
There are a few strange things about the RX1, they are:

1. The shutter release button has a screw thread, and it does fit a traditional shutter cable. Or you can beautify your camera by installing a little soft release knob. This whole setup is old school, but somehow this little feature doesn't feel too matching as the RX1's outlook is very modern.

Review-Cable.jpg

2. The battery charging is annoying with the RX1. I'm used to taking the battery out and using the external charger for charging. For the RX1, the battery remains inside the camera body during charging all the while you have a power cable dangling outside the camera connected to the power outlet. I don't like having cables connected to my camera no matter what, it's accidents waiting to happen.  

Review-Charger.jpg

At Your Service !!
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

主題

帖子

積分

資深會員

積分
 樓主| 發表於 2013-5-7 17:44:10 | 顯示全部樓層
Few random shots were taken last night, the photos are all straight out and 100% cropped without any additional external software alterations. All taken using AWB.

This was taken wide open at f2, ISO 100, 1/80s
RX1-watch.jpg

With 100% cropped, take note of the texture of the watch is remarkably rich in detail.
RX1-watch-cropped.jpg

This was taken at f3.2, ISO 1600, 1/80s
RX1-Noise-detail.jpg

The noise is very smooth and rich in details, the AWB is great, and the color rendering remains juicy,
RX1-Cropped.jpg

This was taken at f2, ISO 1000, 1/80s
RX1-Cat-sample.jpg

again, rich in detail when viewed 100%
RX1-cat-cropped.jpg
At Your Service !!
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

主題

帖子

積分

資深會員

積分
 樓主| 發表於 2013-5-7 18:38:06 | 顯示全部樓層
本帖最後由 VictorChen 於 2013-5-7 06:41 PM 編輯

RX1 is undeniably a compact camera, the body is very small but the lens fits perfectly inside the palm.

Review-Focusing5.jpg

The Manual focus mode is located at the bottom right corner, pretty much a standard position in most of the DSLR cameras. Once switched to the MF, the focusing dial on the lens is the outer most ring, but I was mistakenly rotating the aperture ring instead. This genuine excuse would be due to the lack of distant engraving on the lens, in which the RX1 only has the F points engraved. This is not a major set back, but would be nice if Sony could resurrect some of the old traditions back into the lens manufacturing.

As this is an ideal camera for street photography, lens cap becomes a secondary issue as we can't afford to remove the lens cap and expecting the action to pause for you. So using a lens hood is highly recommended. And yes, Sony sells the lens hood separately. I mean C'mon Sony ....

Review-focusing2.jpg
Review-focusing3.jpg
Review-MF.jpg
At Your Service !!
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

主題

帖子

積分

資深會員

積分
 樓主| 發表於 2013-5-8 17:55:38 | 顯示全部樓層
The 35mm f2 lens for the RX1 has a minor lens distortion. It isn't very obvious, except when you set the shooting mode to Raw+Jpeg, and you on the build-in distortion adjustment would you see the difference. The Raw file remains everything intact and original, while the Jpeg is corrected.

Raw file:
Review-Raw-straight.jpg

Jpg file:
Review-Jpg.jpg

Raw file:
Review-Raw2.jpg

Jpg file:
Review-Jpg2.jpg
At Your Service !!
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

主題

帖子

積分

資深會員

積分
 樓主| 發表於 2013-5-8 18:08:43 | 顯示全部樓層
how fare does the RX1 do at ISO 6400?? This is it !! you can also see how accurate the AWB is.

Review-Noise.jpg

Cropped:
Review-Noise-Cropped.jpg
At Your Service !!
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

主題

帖子

積分

資深會員

積分
 樓主| 發表於 2013-5-8 18:15:06 | 顯示全部樓層
Usually we would forget to pay close attention to the corners while focusing only on the bokeh. This lens by Carl Zeiss fares excellent with plenty of details even under dim area.

This is done at ISO 4000

Review-High-Noise.jpg

Top right corner is cropped, note the numbers are still clearly visible !!
Review-Cropped.jpg

At Your Service !!
回復 支持 反對

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊

本版積分規則

手機版|Archiver|DCHome

GMT+8, 2020-8-5 01:15 AM , Processed in 0.163559 second(s), 13 queries , Gzip On, MemCache On.